Liebster Award


A fellow Estonian blogger Esta gave me the Liebster Award and five questions for me to answer.

1. What’s your favorite type of garment to sew?

Wool coats. If I could I would sew them every day, all day long!

2. How did you end up being a professional tailor?

I made a mistake of rushing off to university after high school, not giving much thought to what I will do with a fashion designer diploma. After 1,5 years I understood that all of it was not for me. We were teached a lot of art and not that much everything else. I love to paint and all that but… 
I kept dropping out of university a secret for a long time and then to save my ass and not start paying back my student loan, I decided to go and try my hand at trade school and learn tailoring, (my mom was so happy over my choice). I liked it much more than studying fashion design. Two years later I graduated with honors and was a menswear tailor.

Looking back I made the right choice.

3. What does sewing for leasure give you besides the garment itself?

It’s this mix of feeling happy, satisfied and accomplished. Whenever I finish a garment either for myself or for someone else, I put it on my dress dummy, take a step back and think - “My little hands made that happen, damn I’m awesum!” 
It’s been 10 years and I still feel this way every single time!

4. Do you have your favorites among sewing books? If yes, then which ones?

I really don’t have a favourite, since I rarely feel the need for one. But if I had to suggest books to someone else here are my picks:

For basics:
“Readers Digest: Complete guide to sewing” (I have it on my bookshelf. Contains tons of material, has real great bound buttonhole tutorials ;) and everything one would need to know.)

“The Complete Photo Guide to Clothing Construction” (I don’t own it, but from the looks of it, it’s a great book to have, even thou I do not agree with its technique for pants zipper fly. Too messy. I myself preffer the technique in Readers Digest book)

For tailoring: 
F.I.T Collection books by Roberto Cabarera (I feel that since the man taught in F.I.T he must know what he is talking about.)

For dressmaking:

But in all honesty, most of the knowledge in these books is available online for free. All you need is a bit time to google for it ;) but for references I think these five books would be great.

5. Are there times when you lack any interest in sewing? If yes, then how do you get your mojo back?

I lack of any interest in sewing constantly! No, really, like all the time! I work in the sewing industry, I come home, I sew some more. And every now and then my batteries will just run out.

I get my mojo back when it comes. I try not to force it, I might end up in a looney bin if I did. But if its been gone for a long while, I organize my work room, refold every single yard in my fabric stash, flip through all the magazines I have and most of the time something sparks and I get back to sewing. If not then… I have been going without sewing anything for over a year. 

One could also try and sew something simple but useful. Like tailors ham! OR new oven mitts! 
But under no circumstance visit a fabric store when you have lost your mojo. Most likely you will end up buying tons of fabric that will never be sewn into something.

So that is it folks! And since I really don’t have anyone to pass it on, I will accept it with grace. Thank you.


1 comment :

  1. thanks for answering. i like getting to know the person behind the sewn garments. also thanks for recommending christine heynes's book. i considered buying it but waited for a sign that would confirm my decision :P

    ReplyDelete