It is finally here - My new Janome 1600P-QC

Vintage Elna sewing machine add

It was last Thursday when I finally got the long awaited call from the courier - my brand new sewing machine was here in my home town and was ready to come home to me.
My face broke into a grin when my boyfriend set the box on the floor in the middle of my living room, nor could I stop myself from doing a happy dance. I honestly can't remember the last time I was so excited and happy about something. 
After un-boxing it and letting my new sewing machine warm up a bit it was time to plug it in and try it out.

user picture

The machine is of course heavy and sturdy. It is very well balanced and the vibration is minimal. I also purchased the Janome muffling mat  to reduce the noise because rumor had it that the machine is loud. And, yes it is loud. But then again isn't that expected from a semi professional sewing machine?
The Janome1600P-QC came with a knee lift, 5 bobbins, assortment of needles, fabric guide, two screwdrivers, extension table, rolled hem foot and a regular foot. Smart girl as I am, I purchased few extra feet right away: a concealed zipper foot, 2mm narrow foot and a Teflon® foot; just to get me started with my new sewing machine.
So, on to the sewing with this machine!
I started off sewing some muslin with No100 thread, changing the stitch length and trying out the reverse stitch lever and the thread cutting button. My new Janome of course had no problem with muslin. Then I changed gears and tried to sew some denim. And again, Janome 1600P-QC stitched the denim together with and ease AND with perfect stitches! The needle went trough four layers of denim like it was soft butter and the stitch length remained as it was set. I also tried sewing denim with special denim thread. The machine needed some thread tension adjusting as well bobbin thread tension adjusting. After that once again, the stitches were perfect. I got ballsy and pressed the thread cutting button. OUH BOY the noise it made! For a second I was so sure I had already hurt my brand new sewing machine! But luckily for me, I hadn't. It turns out one should not use the thread cutting button with an thick thread like that. (That's even said in the manual...which apparently I should have read more thoroughly ;) )
I also sewed some heavy woolen and jersey, once again, no problems at all!
Even thou I am extremely happy and pleased with my new Janome 1600P-QC, there are few things I wish were...a bit better. 
I wish that the machine would remember the needle position I have selected even after I turn it off. I love when the needle on my sewing machine goes down after I take my foot of the foot control. I would also love if I didn't have to push a button to wind the bobbin. Yes, I find that it is very awesome that I can wind my bobbin while sewing but I still have to push the button for it to start. And last but not least...I feel as thou the lamps could be wee bit brighter and dare  I say it, a bit bigger too? Yes I do wish for bigger and brighter lamps. 

Right now I give Janome 1600P-QC eight points out of ten. We shall see how it holds up ;)

And now few words about my new sewing machine table! Yes I also jumped on board and hacked myself a neat table! I made mine out of an old kitchen table. My boyfriend was so sweet and finished the table only with two days! He even drilled a hole so I could still use the knee lifter. 

Until the next time,
Love
Auntie Maimu





2 comments :

  1. I'm looking at buying a true industrial machine to sew leather, canvas, and thick layers. Came across this machine and was wondering if it will sew these materials, or is it just a beefed up version of another home sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have great speed and power but lets be honest - it is not an industrial sewing machine.
      I imagine if I sewed thick layers on it daily, it would be dead already.
      I use it mainly for clothing and for that purpose it is GREAT! Have made many many pairs of jeans on it, several thick woolen coats etc and my Janome has had no problems.
      Industrial sewing machines are made for reveral purposes, the presser foot lift is higher on machines designed for upholstery sewing than on the ones designed for dressmaking.

      Delete