In the name of hanging your coat

I have noticed something that really bothers me. It seems that not all sewing instructions for outerwear include one small yet VERY important detail - hanging loop. 
That's the loop on the collar seam that you use to hang your coat on a hook! And honestly, it is rather mandatory to have that loop in outerwear. 

Image from lystit.com


In my best knowledge the loop is usually made from the same fabric as the coat or jacket is lined with (that's how I have been doing it for 10 years and will keep doing). 
I cut a 3cm wide and about 10cm long strip on grain from lining fabric remnants. First I press under the longer edges so that they meet in the center of my strip and then I press it in half again. Now all that's left to do is to edgestitch along the open side in a matching colour thread. The finished width of my loop is about 0,7cm.
I then attach the loop to the neckline on my assembled lining. First I mark 3,5cm to each side from the CB, line up the raw ends of my loop with the raw edge of the lining neckline and sew it in place.
Done. 

Now you can hang your lovely handmade jacket or coat wherever you go!

Yes, you can use that pre-made chain one. Thou, I personally am not a big fan. But if you do use it, attach it like THIS

And remember, that loop is not optional, it's mandatory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment