Pattern Review Vintage Sewing Contest 2014 and as a bonus I get infront of the camera


Back in May I participated in Pattern Reviews "Vintage Sewing Contest". For this contest, a pattern was considered vintage when it was published before 1980. 
At first I was set on sewing something from vintage Estonian magazine "Soviet Woman", but sadly no designs that I was able to track down appealed to me.
So enter my October Burda from 1967!


6807 from 1967 October Burda
To be honest, it was hard to choose from all the gorgeous designs, I liked them all so much. After a trip to the fabric store, where I stumbled upon the grooviest fabrics of all, I knew that the dress pictured above must be made! 
The pattern description reads:
Seductive cocktail dress in Parisian tank-top style. So young is mini still allowable.
Ouh my!

Pattern sheet example
So, I traced my pattern pieces from the over cramped pattern sheet, graded them up (yes, graded. Back then Burda mostly published their patterns only in one size), cut into the fabric and made myself a "seductive cocktail dress"



Tada! Isn't that fabric just GROOVY?!  

In the spirit of sewing vintage, I didn't use any fusible interfacing. The roll-back collar was interfaced with organza. Bias cut organza strips were used to stabilize the armholes. Dress has a center back lapped zipper. And the fabric pattern was matched continually. You can see wee bit of it on the picture of the back of the dress. The dress is fully lined so no overlock was used.

I ended up sharing second place.



2 comments :