Vogue 2442 - The EXACT jeans fit of Calvin Klein

Vogue 2442 envelope front
via rubylane.com
What: Vogue 2442, Misses Jeans
Description from the pattern envelope: 
Tight-fitting jeans or slim, straight skirt, has fly front zipper closing, contour buttoned waistband with belt carriers, shaped back yoke, side front slanted pockets with right front change pocket and back patch pockets. Note: to buy the proper size pattern, check your measurements with the Calvin Klein Size guide below.
 Year of publication: 1980
Material used: 100% cotton medium weight denim, Günterman jeans thread, metal zipper, button and some rivets.

By the description, this pattern seemed to be the answer to my prayers and would make all my dreams come true. I compared my measurements with the "CK size guide" printed on the envelopes back, and by them I was a size 10. My waist measures 72cm and hips 92cm.



WRONG! I did check the printed pattern before cutting, I knew it was going to be too damn big. But I like to fit the garment on the body better than to fix a printed pattern. Plus, this way I could document the disaster this pattern was at the start.



Better.

I slimmed the legs down by 4cm, hips and waist by 2cm. Straightened the front seat seam curve a bit. Back seat seam curve was pretty damn great in my opinion. As you can see from the image I still had a bit of adjusting to do.


I went for blue thread this time. I quite like that the top stitching isn't so visible.
At the end all that was left of the original pattern were the back pockets and the yokes. Everything else had to be redrafted.

 


I am so very pleased with the final result! 100% cotton denim is a bit restraining and it took me a while to get used to the feel of non stretch.

PS! special thanks to le boyfriend for snapping the pics. He has since been given few pointers aka everything I can remember from my Photography lectures in the uni.

2 comments :

  1. The model in the middle of the pattern envelope has a thing or two to learn from you when it comes to posing :P
    To be honest, I find it difficult to comment on the garments you've sewn because you're a professional, which means it's self-evident you sew technically and aesthetically sound garments. So all I'm capable of saying is the jeans look great and I especially like the cuffs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. technically and aesthetically sound garments - NOT AT ALL! But thank you for believing in me! I do try my best.

      Delete