Sewing for him - Black cargo pants

You know how they say you can't teach new tricks to old dog? 100% true! 
The man has been wearing cargo pants for half of his life and try as I may, I can't get him out of them! I've used every trick in my books to coax and encourage him to wear... well regular pants. Jeans... but no! 

His favourite black pair finally gave up this summer. There was nothing to salvage, except the design. So I pulled out the pant sloper I've drafted for him and copied his old RTW pants. 


Sigh, I wish he would have pulled the pants up...
Main style changes I made was slimming the legs. I just cant stand overly baggy pants, specially on his short frame. I don't think he even noticed, he was just so happy tho have something that fit him!


One thing that I love about copying RTW clothes is how simply and cleverly they are made. Back pocket flap was sewn on top of a finished welt pocket. 


One thing that I failed to figure out was how to finish the back pocket bag with a french seam. And I think I should know that, but somehow my memory failed me, so I simply serged the edges. The finished look isn't as uniform as I would love but who else is gonna notice that?


Before I started to make the pattern, I asked him, would he like any changes on the pants. He said no. When the pants were done and he had worn them for couple of days, he tells me he doesn't really like the cargo pockets. :O

I mean... WHAT?! 

It turns out, he didn't care for the accordion fold that goes all around the pocket. Ouh well. Should have spoken up when he had the chance! 

No comments:

Post a Comment