slow fashion october - do I really need all those clothes?

I often wonder, if being part of an online sewing community, makes us actually sew more and thus consume more?
Isn't making your own clothes about not using as much RTW fast fashion and consuming less mass production items that are in poor quality?
I see people sewing one item of clothing per week for themselves. There are 52 weeks in one year.
So, I wonder, if that isb't the same as buying cheap stuff from, I dont know...H&M?

Hey, I am not without guilt here either! I do not need 5 pairs of Ginger Jeans! But I did enjoy sewing them. And lets face it, Ginger Jeans are AWESOME, period.

I live a rather simple life. Work, home, dance. Same shit every week. And I definitely could get by with just one pair of jeans.


So, I want to challenge my self to consume less clothes. I would really like to conduct an experiment of sorts with me; where I'd pick 5 items, 7 tops, from my excising wardrobe and try to get by with just those items for two weeks.

With those 14 days, I am hoping to achieve... 

I am not quite sure yet what the goal really is. Maybe to grow. Maybe this will finally open my eyes and I will understand that it is time to make my self a proper capsule wardrobe. Never know. 
All I know is - I have a closet full of clothes and nothing to wear! Ouh the irony.

So far, my basic list is:
  • slim boyfriend jeans
  • white oversized turtleneck sweater
  • 2 black longsleeves
  • denim shirt
  • grey wool cardigan
  • 3 tanks
I will not include accessories, bags-shoes and outerwear in my list, since weather changes here fast. Never know, it maybe raining knives tomorrow. And yes, the list has more than 7 items on it. 
I also will not set a starting date to this. I generally do not like planning. Shit might come back to haunt me later. I might blog about the experience here, once it is done :)

And to people who are concerned about sanitary aspect of this experiment - modern day people tend to over wash their clothes. That's my professional opinion.

Now that I am all caught up...hopefully I can stick to it and there will be another post next week based on #slowfashionoctober prompts

3 comments :

  1. Jah, tyrdukud, meil on neid riideid k6iki vaja. T6esti-t6esti... Mida kvaliteetsemad ja mida rohkem, seda parem. Arvan, et mul on k6ik prantsuse baasriided olemas (v.a ehk nahkpyksid), ja ma ikka teen juurde ja ostan ka.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I found your blog from Pinterest. I'm enjoying looking at your projects, and just wanted to say that this post really spoke to me. I started sewing 7 years ago and while it's been very rewarding, it's certainly inspired me to consume more than my pre-sewing days. I used to be more or less satisfied with thrift shopping for my entire wardrobe. Since I've gotten to the point of being reasonably well-clothed most days, I'd love to focus more on sewing useful pieces for me and my husband, making more intricate garments, and finding more thrifted fabric. Anyway, lovely thoughts and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thank you for stoping by and staying to read :)

      Useful, well fitted clothes for the win in 2016!

      Delete