Future project - laminated wool parka

Long time no posting. Again. 

Its not that I haven't been sewing, I have. See my instagram feed. It's just that I haven't been feeling like snapping images. 

But I have been feeling like making plans!

And I have a plan to sew myself a fully water, wind and cold proof parka (I hope). 

Laminated wool - from left and right side

It all started with this fabric. I spotted it at Abakhan in the "buy by the kilo" bin right after I had started my pea coat(still not finished, practicing my button holes). I figured since one coat was already in the makings it was way  too soon for another one. 

And then I did some online shopping, which was a huge ass FAIL! The quilted down coat that I ordered fits me, sleeves are a little short as usual but...the description of said down coat stated that there IS A HOOD. There is half of a hood. That looks like a circumcision gone wrong. 
(The only reason I bought that damn coat was what if we gonna have another rainy windy winter that is not suited for a wool jacket?)

Fast forward to this week. I still had that laminated wool on my mind. Stopped by Abakhan, almost 100% sure that it is all gone. Lucky me, it was still there. YAY!

J Crew Chateau parka

I will loosely base my parka on the J Crew's parka above. Ok, it will be pretty damn similar! Sue me for liking J Crew.

I have been trying to plan all the sewing a head, I even wrote down construction order to make my life wee bit easier. I also will try to use up as much supplies from my ever expanding sewing stash as possible. I have the zipper, snaps, warm interlining... I might even use my crazy-ass scull print poly satin as lining. 
I do have to pick up a shit ton of seam sealing tape.

One thing I need to figure out is how to sew all those pockets to the fronts without using any pins... and decide - to do fur or no fur? 

5 comments :

  1. Hahahaha, I can't stop sniggering at the circumcision hood! I vote removable fur - on a row of snaps maybe. Fur hoods are normally lovely but they feel absolutely minging if they get wet, so fairly rubbish on raincoats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go and see what kind of exotic faux furs they sell here. I did spot something that looked like a racoon. We do have huge rolls of different teddy bear furs LOL

      Delete
  2. Hahahaha, I can't stop sniggering at the circumcision hood! I vote removable fur - on a row of snaps maybe. Fur hoods are normally lovely but they feel absolutely minging if they get wet, so fairly rubbish on raincoats

    ReplyDelete
  3. What and exiting project to start - looking forward to following your process. I just finished my first tailored wool coat a few weeks ago. It seemed like a good idea, but I think I might have forgotten how the usual winter is in Denmark aka windy, rainy and cold so maybe a parka would have been a better choice of coat? Can't wait to see yours:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been making my own winter coats since...2006? If I've learned anything from wearing them, it's that for a every day wear a hood or a big collar is a must. And that winters have gotten more wet. LOL.
      So far I've cut everything out and am assembling bits and pieces. The hood lining is done, next up are cuffs.

      Delete